Sunday 12 March 2017

Am I Going To Survive Cheltenham 2017?

I have not written anything about racing in forever and after a few requests for a Cheltenham 2017 blog I thought I better put a few words on a page for my handful of loyal readers!

This week my greatest fear is whether I am actually going to be alive come the Foxhunters on Friday. Having reached the grand old age of 30 last summer I am now firmly in the Veterans Chase. Instead of filling our cases with hip flasks and vodka our crew have packed painkillers, Berroca and hand warmers. We might just make it out in Cheltenham town for a drink or two, although white wine has already been banned as it makes us resemble the cast of Geordie Shore and gives me a blinding headache the next day. Obviously we are making the journey to the other side of the country for the racing anyway!

Having studied the form for all of 20 minutes, as well as watching the Racing UK previews and wandering round the corner to The Racing Centre to listen to the tips of Newmarket’s National Hunt elite, we are well equipped to lose the last few pennies in our accounts. This may also be due to us buying ridiculously expensive coats in the Tented Village (I did this in January too as a little warm-up!).

Unlike most previews lets not spend 90% of our time discussing the Supreme Novices Hurdle. Melon is unknown quantity and according to every man and his dog the vibes are not great. If you were Willie Mullins would you really be shouting your mouth off if you think he was the best thing since sliced bread anyway? Personally I am going to side with Ballyandy here, I LOVE previous Cheltenham form (particularly if it comes from the Festival) so I fancy last year's Champion Bumper winner to land the spoils first thing on Tuesday.

Now onto the Big Four, in which unfortunately you can make a great case for the favourites.

Apparently this year’s Champion Hurdle is as open as it will ever be. If you fancy some each-way money then go for The New One. He loves Cheltenham and could well sneak into the frame. To take victory I am going for Yanworth. Who knows what he will do when he reaches that bottom bend to head up the home straight? But his second to Yorkhill in last year’s Neptune cannot be ignored and he should relish a quick pace.

Now I do not have a lot to say about the Queen Mother, other than sit back and enjoy Douvan. For an each-way punt here I would currently go for the inconsistent menace L’Ami Serge. Why? Because the last time he was out of the frame was his fourth to Douvan in the Supreme Novices Hurdle in 2015. And he is 33-1. So he is inconsistently always in the frame!

On Thursday many will see Unowhatimeanharry as a certainty for the World Hurdle but I am going to step away from the favourite here. Shaneshill was second to Blaklion at last year’s Festival. His best performances come at three miles and if you are going to take the favourite on I think he is the horse to do so.

The Gold Cup. For many the best race of the week. Personally nothing will ever beat Denman’s performance in 2008 (make sure you get a glimpse of him at the ROR parade on Tuesday) but I think Native River is the one to go for this year. His performance in the Welsh Grand National was exceptional. However, as I am sure many will be, I will also be rooting for stablemate Cue Card, I think he would have won if he had stayed up last year, but unfortunately I think his mature legs will be against him (rather like mine!). For an each way shot I like Outlander. His Lexus win was brilliant and that race has strong correlation with a good Gold Cup performances.

So other horses to watch out for? I am looking forward to seeing Josses Hill take the Ryanair and Cause of Causes the Cross Country race (Not many horses take three different races at the Festival, name one!). As mentioned in previous years you cannot beat picking horses out in the Pre-Parade ring for the Bumper (previous winners Cue Card and Hairy Molly who returned 66-1 and 33-1 have come from the Pocock Family picks here) and back experienced riders in the Foxhunters and Amateur races.

And for my the biggest tip of the week? Double up on your daily Berocca to ensure you make it to the Final Flight bar on Friday evening...

Happy punting, drinking and shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment